There are many pivotal moments in Baldur’s Gate 3. One of these needs to be resolved during Act 1, and it’s the conflict between the Tieflings and Goblins. Regardless of your decision, a lot of people will die, and its up to you to find out which side wins. Our guide discusses the Baldur’s Gate 3 Save the Refugees quest, particularly the key factors that should help you win the battle.
How to Save the Tiefling Refugees in Baldur’s Gate 3
The Baldur’s Gate 3 Save the Refugees quest has multiple stages and objectives. Our guide primarily deals with the battle itself, so here’s a quick rundown of what you can expect prior to that:
- Once you gain entry to the Druid Grove, you can aid various NPCs with their tasks. For instance, you can rescue Arabella from Kagha, while also learning that the latter is working with the Shadow Druids.
- The important task here is to find the whereabouts of Halsin, the Arch Druid, as he seems to know a cure for the parasite. You’ll find him in the Goblin Camp/Shattered Sanctum. He’s imprisoned in bear form, but you can bust him out. Be forewarned that making him accompany you inside the dungeon will make all cultists hostile.
- The Paladin Minthara is one of the leaders of the Cult of the Absolute. You can certainly side with her during the assault, as this decision allows you to romance Minthara. However, that means the Tieflings and Druids will die. Worse, companions like Wyll and Karlach will leave your party forever.
How to Win the Battle Against Minthara
Let’s say that Minthara’s army is ready to assault the camp, but you convinced her that you’re on her side. Now, it’s time to Save the Refugees in Baldur’s Gate 3. You’ll want to do the following before you begin the battle:
- Talk to Zevlor atop the entrance gate. Tell him that you led Minthara’s army, but that she’s fallen for your trap.
- Make sure that Gale has spells like Scorching Ray and Cloud of Daggers.
- Ungroup your units so you can reposition them separately. We suggest placing Gale and another companion at the western side (i.e. near the warhorn). Meanwhile, a melee character like Karlach or Lae’zel can be in the eastern side.
- When you’re ready, commence with the fight by interacting with the war horn.
- Take note that you’ll be up against a dozen Goblins and their cohorts. It’s important to keep backup saves in case you need to reload due to unsuccessful rolls or misses.
Essentially, this battle is all about turning Gale into the MVP due to the aforementioned spells: Scorching Ray and Cloud of Daggers. You can also use a spellcaster main character if they have these spells.
In any case, a couple of turns in, you’ll notice several sappers moving toward the gate. If they manage to throw their exploding barrels at the gate, it will get destroyed, and they’ll all start rushing in. But, with Gale, you can wait for them to get clustered, then target all of them with Scorching Ray. The explosion and successive flame effect should kill many units. Even better, since your foes don’t have explosives anymore, they’ll have no choice but to waste turns hitting the stone gate with weapons and arrows.
Likewise, you’ll notice a bunch of barrels that are close together. These will get thrown by the Ogre, causing Goblins to burst out of them. You should cast Cloud of Daggers in that spot, which will destroy the barrels and damage the enemies hiding inside. Lastly, the eastern side (i.e. the one with Karlach or Lae’zel) should get attacked by a couple of Spiderlings. You can take them out with melee hits. Once they’re dead, throw the explosive barrel at the remaining hostiles. With most of the opposing army dead, all that’s left is to continue pelting Minthara until she’s defeated.
That’s it: that’s how you complete the Save the Refugees quest in Baldur’s Gate 3. Although you lose the opportunity to romance Minthara, you’ll still be able to recruit Halsin much later in the campaign. Likewise, your good deeds mean that Wyll and Karlach will remain in your party. Just don’t piss them off in the future.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is filled to the brim with activities and secrets. You’ll no doubt be part of an adventure that can take countless hours to complete. For other tips, you can visit our BG3 guides hub.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors.
GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
#Baldurs #Gate #Save #Refugees #Druid #Grove